Siphon coffee makers look like scientific equipment, but the brewing process is easier than any experiment you’d do in the lab. Choosing the best siphon coffee maker gives you delicious coffee with a few simple steps.
Our Top Pick: Hario Technica Three-Cup Coffee Siphon
- 3 cup capacity 360ml
- HARIO heat-resistant glass in japan
- Easy to use
- Easy to Clean
- Design in Japan
Our top pick is the Hario Technica Three-Cup Coffee Siphon because it’s affordable and easy to use. The company has an excellent reputation for producing high-quality heatproof glass. Founded in 1921, Hario began producing coffee siphons in 1948.
The glass elements of this siphon are durable enough to last for years. The stand and included burner are stainless steel, which makes it light enough to move around easily. Keep in mind that you’ll need pure alcohol to fuel the burner. You can buy extra wicks for it as well.
Our favorite thing about the Hario siphon coffee maker, besides its durability, is how quickly it brews coffee. It takes five minutes, max, to pour three cups of coffee. Machines that take longer to brew might limit your usage to weekends when you have more time, but you’ll find yourself using the Hario siphon daily.
More Top Picks for the Best Siphon Coffee Maker
Our top pick might not be what you’re looking for in a siphon coffee maker. There are plenty of high-quality options out there, and we break down five more siphon coffee makers to suit your needs.
Our Top Pick
Best Space-Saving Siphon Coffee Maker
Best Automatic Siphon Coffee Maker
Best Butane Burner Siphon Coffee Maker
Best Stovetop Siphon Coffee Maker
Best Upscale Siphon Coffee Maker
A detailed look at the best coffee maker with grinder
Best Space-Saving Siphon Coffee Maker: Yama Siphon 8-Cup Stovetop Coffee Maker
- YAMA Siphon brewed coffee produces cleaner, richer, and smoother cup of coffee by maximizing the essential oils from the brew
- Large 8 cup capacity is perfect for serving the whole family
- Vacuum technology seals in the aroma and flavors delivering on the true profile of your coffee
- Works on gas and electric rangetops; comes with wire diffuser for use on electric Coil burners (included)
- Premium hand crafted, hand blown Borosilicate Glass is non-porous and does not absorb odors or chemicals ensuring each brew is as fresh and pure as intended
- Includes reusable, washable cloth filters. Lid doubles as a siphon stand for post brew
A standalone siphon coffee maker is nice if you have the counter space for it, but stovetop machines save a lot of space. You only need to pull it out when you’re brewing coffee, and otherwise, you can store the compact chambers in a cabinet.
This works the same way as a standing siphon, with two glass chambers, but you place the bottom chamber directly on your stovetop. This machine is efficiently designed because you can use the lid as a stand to let the hot chamber cool down. You won’t have to worry about burn marks on your counter or table.
The Yama siphon coffee maker is extra special because it comes with eco-friendly fabric coffee filters. You can wash them and reuse them instead of creating waste and having to buy more paper filters.
- Brews eight cups at once
- Includes reusable, environmentally friendly cloth filters
- Siphon spout is long can break easily if you’re not careful
Best Automatic Siphon Coffee Maker: KitchenAid Siphon Coffee Brewer
- Automated full immersion siphon brewing delivered through precise temperature and vacuum technology.
- Brew unit stand securely holds brew unit once brewing is complete.
- Flavor Profile: Bright and rich with a clean finish.
- Premium glass construction with stainless steel accents.
- Magnetic locking seal securely fastens the brew unit and carafe together.
- Includes siphon coffee brewer, cleaning brush/coffee scoop, brew unit stand, dual purpose lid, 360° rotation removable base, reusable stainless steel filter and cloth filter pack.
KitchenAid has a great reputation in the realm of home appliances, and their siphon coffee brewer is no different. Even Consumer Reports rates this machine highly. It comes with everything you could need in a design that saves space and looks eye-catching.
If you’re just getting into siphon coffee makers or want the automation of a percolator, this machine is the best choice for you. Add water to the lower chamber, coffee grounds to the top chamber, plug in the burner, flip the switch, and watch your coffee brew method.
A significant upside is that the chambers lock together with magnets to ensure there’s no mess. However, this is a step closer to a standard drip coffee maker in appearance and taste. Because there’s no on and off switch, you can’t control siphon brewing time, and once you start it, you have to let it finish.
- Brew anywhere from two to eight cups using the markings on the carafe
- Includes a cleaning brush, coffee scoop, stainless steel filter, and cloth filters
- Most expensive siphon coffee brewer on the list
Best Butane Burner Siphon Coffee Maker: Yama Glass Tabletop Siphon Coffee Maker
- Made from premium hand-blown borosilicate glass and ceramic construction
- Yama siphon allows you to brew smooth and rich coffee just the way you intended
- Borosilicate glass is non-porous, trapping in all the flavor and essential oils for the perfect brew
- Includes a heavy duty butane burner for even and fast brewing - burner do not come filled
- Includes reusable filters and Coffee scoop
- 5 cup capacity is perfect for home or office use
If you liked the previous Yama siphon maker but were unsure about stovetop brewing, then you’ll love their standalone option. This machine brews up to five cups at once.
The butane burner is an excellent choice for siphon coffee makers because it heats quickly and evenly, ensuring you always get a hot, flavorful cup of coffee. You can refill it as needed, so you don’t have to buy replacements.
Like their other coffee makers, the Yama Glass Tabletop Siphon Coffee Maker includes fabric filters that you can wash and reuse.
- Butane burner heats coffee evenly and consistently
- Comes with reusable fabric filters
- Heating element doesn’t always deliver consistent results, so your coffee’s flavor will vary
Best Stovetop Siphon Coffee Maker: Bodum PEBO Siphon Coffee Maker
- Its exceptionally effective vacuum brewing method extracts all precious oils of your favorite coffee.
- In addition, the brewing time and temperature are perfectly calibrated, ensuring a perfect cup of coffee with each brew.
- Depending on the amount of water used, the PEBO can brew delicious coffee within 5 to 11 minutes, serving anywhere from 4 to 8 cups (0.5l/10oz,max. 1.0l/34oz).
- The vacuum brewing process is entirely sealed off so no aroma can escape.
Bodum is a well-known brand in the coffee sector ever since creating an iconic French press back in 1944. The company expanded its reach into other housewares, but their quality hasn’t decreased. Bodum glass is durable, and their PEBO siphon coffee maker is no exception.
The design of this coffee maker isn’t much to look at, but it does its job. Since it uses the stovetop for heat, you’ll get even results from pot to pot of coffee. Because there’s no stand or burner, every part of this machine is dishwasher-safe, making for easy cleanup.
One caveat for the Bodum PEBO is that it’s not all glass, and there’s a plastic disc that holds the filter in place. Not only can the filter become clogged and difficult to clean, but the plastic cracks over time due to the heat. You might have trouble finding a replacement for this small part and will have to purchase the entire coffee maker again.
- Makes eight cups at once
- Affordable, durable, and high-quality from a company with a great reputation
- Takes up to 11 minutes to brew
Best Upscale Siphon Coffee Maker: Nispira Belgian
- Nispira luxury balance siphon coffee maker in Gold
- Brown wooden base. Stainless steel water retainer and plug
- The set consists of heat-resistance glass, Plated balancing shaft and handle It also comes with filter cloth, measuring spoon and cup.
- User manual is included. Easy to use. Please check out our product review and see why people like the Nispira coffee maker
- 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed. Quality meets or exceeds leading national brand
If you want a siphon coffee maker that will grab everyone’s attention, the Nispira Belgian is it. This gold and wood machine adds interest to any kitchen without skimping on coffee quality.
The solid wooden base has space for the burner and the glass chamber. Instead of the standard glass, the water chamber is gold stainless steel. The burner is so unique-looking that you might worry about replacing it. However, all you need to do is purchase alcohol and refuel the original burner.
- Most unique-looking siphon coffee maker on the list
- Stainless steel water chamber is unbreakable
- Replacement parts are expensive and hard to find
Benefits of a Siphon Coffee Maker
A siphon coffee maker has two glass chambers, and the lower chamber holds water, and the upper chamber holds coffee grounds. The heat evaporates the water and sends it to the upper chamber to mix with the coffee grounds.
The heat reacts with the empty lower chamber to create a vacuum effect, so siphon coffee makers are also called vacuum coffee maker. This vacuum pulls down the water that has mixed with the coffee grounds. Because there’s a filter between the chambers, you won’t get grounds in your brew.
This method of brewing coffee keeps more flavor in the grounds than the traditional percolator method of boiling water. The flavor is also different from French press coffee, which brews a dark, strong cup. Siphon coffee makers highlight the natural flavor profile of the coffee beans without overwhelming your taste buds.
What to Look For in Your Siphon Coffee Maker
After learning the basics of a siphon coffee maker, you need to consider what will make the best brew ratio for you. There are certain factors to look for before buying a siphon coffee maker.
Stovetop or Standalone
One of the biggest factors in a siphon coffee maker is the heat source. You place stovetop models directly on your stove burner and use that heat to brew the coffee, and this can make the coffee brew extraction more evenly than relying on a separate burner.
Standalone siphon coffee makers come with their own burner, and this makes them somewhat portable because you can use them on the counter, on a table, or even away from the kitchen.
Some burners won’t heat the coffee evenly, leading to a bitter taste or lukewarm cup of coffee. Butane burners are highly rated, though, like the Yama Glass Tabletop Siphon Coffee Maker mentioned above.
Choosing between a stovetop or standalone siphon coffee maker impacts more than just your heat source, and this factor also changes how much space your coffee maker will take up and how easy it is to store.
Size (Number of Servings)
If you drink several cups of coffee every morning, you don’t want a siphon coffee maker that’s so small you have to brew two or three cycles to get your fix. Choosing the ideal size of coffee maker is crucial before you make a purchase.
You can easily find siphon coffee makers that brew anywhere from two to eight cups per cycle, and some only brew three cups, like our top pick of the Hario Technica. It might be better to err on the side of a coffee maker with a larger capacity so you can use it when you have guests over.
There’s always the option of not completely filling a larger pot to make just a few cups of coffee. Make sure that you add enough water so it won’t overheat and result in bitter coffee. If you have a machine where you control the brew time, you’ll have no problem brewing different amounts of coffee.
Budget is always a primary concern before investing in a kitchen appliance. There are siphon coffee makers available at many different price points, so you’ll have no problem finding something you can afford.
When you check the price of your chosen coffee maker, look at the materials used to make it. Heat-resistant glass is crucial to ensure your coffee maker will last for a long time. It’s worth the investment to buy a high-quality siphon coffee maker instead of buying something cheap that you’ll need to replace after a few uses.
Ease of Cleaning
It’s important to clean any type of coffee maker, but some machines on this list can be difficult to clean because coffee grounds get caught in the filter. The KitchenAid option comes with a cleaning brush to reach difficult places, which is nice.
Overall, most siphon coffee makers are easy to clean. The most important thing to remember is to clean them after they cool down from brewing. Once they’re safe to handle, rinse them with warm water before soaping them and letting them dry. Waiting too long to clean them puts you at risk of having dry grounds that are tough to remove.
If you’re a coffee connoisseur, you need to try brewing with a siphon coffee maker. Not only is it fun to watch, but you’ll get a top-notch cup of coffee from it. Whether you choose a machine that looks like a steampunk tool or something more neutral, you’ll love the siphon experience.
You won’t go wrong with the Hario Technica Three-Cup Coffee Siphon; easily one of the best siphon coffee makers. It’s an affordable option and makes the process easy to learn. If you’re already a siphon pro, you’ll appreciate the quality that an established brand like Hario provides.