Will Ferrell had it right when he stated, “coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions,” in his role as Phil Weston in the movie Kicking and Screaming.
But while coffee is often dumped into one big category, each individual that consumes coffee may have a varying style or taste they prefer. If you’re one of these people who are looking for an automatic pour over coffee maker, you’re in the right place.
We have taken the inconvenience out of researching the benefits and drawbacks of the best automatic pour-over coffee makers to give you a one-stop shop to finding the best coffee maker.
Coffee makers are in abundance on today’s market, making it difficult to know what to look for and what features are necessary and which are not.
Whether you prefer to brew your perfect cup of coffee with fresh coffee beans or favor packaged coffee grounds, brewing coffee is an art that requires a machine to give you the cup of joe you deserve.
Our Top Pick – Technivorm Moccamaster
- Perfect Coffee Every Time: This pump-free coffee maker heats water to the correct temperature for coffee extraction
- Easy to Use: The Moccamaster brews a full 40 oz pot of coffee in 4-6 minutes using one switch
- Quiet and Safe: The Moccamaster KBG quietly brews your coffee and automatically turns off after 100 minutes
- Quality Materials: Moccamasters last a lifetime. We use BPA/BPS/BPF and Phthalate free plastics and durable stainless steel and aluminum
- Delicious Coffee and Peace of Mind: Moccamaster coffee brewers have a 5-year warranty
The Technivorm Moccamaster 40oz coffee brewer is our top pick due to its high quality, ease of use, and esthetically pleasing design.
This automatic pour-over coffee maker brews the perfect pot of coffee in just 6 minutes through a slow drip brew basket. The water reservoir holds 1.25 liters, and the glass carafe’s capacity is 10 cups.
The heating element on the Technivorm Moccamaster is a unique hot plate designed to roll heat into the coffee by distributing the heat evenly throughout the whole pot.
It also includes an automatic shut-off after 100 hours turned on, making it an excellent selection for those who prefer to drink their coffee slowly and don’t have to worry about the pot overheating if powered on for too long.
A 9-hole outlet arm proves even saturation by evenly distributing 196 – 205 degrees Fahrenheit water over your coffee grounds.
The Technivorm Moccamaster comprises of multiple pieces to create a unique, easy-to-use product that gets you the perfect cup of coffee every time. Better yet, all Moccamaster coffee brewers maintain a 5-year warranty.
While the multiple pieces are assembled to create a premier coffee maker, the vast number of parts can make cleaning a lengthy task. However, once disassembled, cleanup is a breeze.
- Esthetically pleasing
- Quick brewing times
- Even coffee ground saturation
- Multiple pieces to clean
- Glass carafe can shatter
The contemporary appearance and practical design make this automatic pour-over coffee maker ideal for coffee lovers with a modern kitchen. Don’t just take my word for it; this product receives a 4.7-star rating out of nearly four thousand reviews on Amazon.
Other Top Picks for the best automatic pour over coffee maker
While the Technivorm Moccamaster coffee brewer is our personal top choice, that doesn’t mean there aren’t other excellent options out there. Automatic pour over coffee makers can fit any kitchen and space, making them an elegant kitchen accessory.
If the Technivorm Moccamaster doesn’t fit your fancy, here are some of our other favorite automatic pour-over coffee makers.
More Top Picks for the Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker
Our Top Pick
|Technivorm Moccamaster 59616 KBG Coffee Brewer, 40 oz, Polished Silver||Check Price|
|Breville BDC450BSS Precision Brewer Thermal, Coffee Maker, Brushed Stainless Steel||Check Price|
|OXO Brew 9 Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Maker||Check Price|
|Bonavita 8 Cup Coffee Maker, One-Touch Pour Over Brewing with Thermal Carafe, SCA Certified, Stainless Steel (BV1900TS)||Check Price|
|Cuisinart CPO-800P1 PurePrecision 8 Cup Pour-Over Coffee Brewer, Silver||Check Price|
|Cuisinart - CPO-850P1 Cuisinart CPO-850 Coffee Brewer, 8 Cup, Stainless Steel||Check Price|
|Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control Coffee Maker, Brushed Stainless Steel||Check Price|
A detailed look at the best automatic pour over coffee maker
- The Breville Precision Brewer Thermal is a 60 oz drip coffee maker with thermal carafe that allows you to brew third wave specialty coffee at home, automatically; Experience your favorite coffee at its best with precise temperature and brewing time
- AUTOMATIC PRESETS AND CUSTOMIZABLE: 6 unique brewing modes ensure you enjoy the perfect balanced coffee every time; Preset modes include Gold, Fast, Strong, Iced, Cold Brew and My Brew, all so you can experience your favorite coffee at its best
- PRECISE & ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE: Coffee maker with precise digital temperature control (PID), 3 different flow rates to optimize contact time and Thermo Coil Heating System delivering water that is more pure than typical brewing systems that use aluminium
- GOLD CUP STANDARD: In Gold Cup preset mode the Breville Precision Brewer Glass automatically adjusts the water temperature and brew time to meet the standards set by the SCA (197 to 204 degrees)
- AUTO 'STEEP AND RELEASE' TECHNOLOGY: Breville's patented Steep & Release valve holds the water in contact with the coffee when small cup volumes are being brewed without the glass carafe in place automatically
- MY BREW SETTING: Allows you to customize parameters like bloom time, brew temperature, and flow rate to suit your coffee needs; create a perfect coffee that is floral, fruity, earthy, and so on to match your preference
- DUAL FILTER BASKETS: Brew any volume of coffee exactly how you like it with the Flat Bottom & Cone Filter baskets both included
- POUR OVER ADAPTER COMPATIBLE: Designed to suit your favorite pour over dripper such as Hario V6 and Kalita Wave
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Thermal Carafe, Coffee Spoon, Cone filter basket insert, Mesh basket filter, Flat bottom basket filter paper pack (10 pieces) and Water hardness test strip
- WARRANTY: 2 Year Limited Product Warranty: Power: 1650 Watts; Voltage: 110 to 120 Volts; Capacity: 60 oz
The Breville Precision Brew is a 60oz thermal drip automatic coffee maker completed with six unique modes for brewing.
Brewing modes include:
- My brew
These options give you ample choices to change your brewing technique depending on your mood.
Equipped with a thermal carafe, this coffee maker keeps the heat in and the cold out, allowing your coffee to remain hot and ready to go when you need it most.
The thermal lining also provides a touchable outside surface, so you don’t have to worry about burning your fingers when picking up the carafe.
Breville Precision thermal coffee makers also come standard with adjustable temperature controls allowing you to brew at your desired heat to get the taste and consistency you love most.
A dual filter basket feature gives the option to use a flat bottom or cone filter basket, whatever strikes your fancy.
While the thermal carafe is a shatter-resistant carafe option, it doesn’t provide an esthetically pleasing view as it comes across as more of a kitchen utility instead of a feature. Thankfully the looks don’t affect the taste or overall brewing ability.
- Shatter-resistant carafe
- Large size
- Easy to clean stainless steel
- Dual filter basket options
- It won’t fit in small spaces
- Not a gorgeous feature
The Breville Precision brew thermal coffee maker is best suited in a kitchen that has a modern feel with stainless steel appliances. It is also a noble choice for those with multiple coffee drinkers in the home or an individual who knows how to put away some coffee.
- BetterBrew Precision Brewing controls water temperature and optimizes brew cycles for rich, flavorful coffee – whether you’re making two cups or a full pot
- Fully programmable and easy to use, a single dial lets you choose cups, program the time and set the automatic wake-up timer
- Temperature-controlled brewing keeps the water between 197.6–204.8°F /92-96°C – the ideal range for drip coffee
- Rainmaker shower head evenly disperses water over coffee grounds for better flavor extraction
- Internal mixing tube ensures your last sip is as delicious as your first
- Voltage is 120V/60Hz
- Pause and pour feature lets you grab a quick cup before brewing is complete
- Double-wall stainless steel thermal carafe keeps coffee piping hot; freshness timer shows freshness at a glance
- Certified by the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) for gold-standard home brewing
The OXO Brew stainless steel coffee maker is the perfect option for those looking for an automatic pour-over coffee maker on a budget. The stainless steel carafe holds 45oz and keeps a controlled water temperature between 197.6 – 204.8 degrees Fahrenheit.
A rainmaker shower head disperses the heated water evenly across the ground coffee beans, so you don’t have to guess the strength of your coffee.
The “pause and pour” is a unique feature that allows users who are in a rush to pause the brewing process to grab a cup of coffee before returning it to brewing mode.
While it is a budget-friendly coffee maker, the OXO Brew stainless steel coffee maker is certified by the SCA (Specialty Coffee Association) for the barista-quality coffee it produces. The machine comes with a dial interface for setting and time control.
The price is a big selling point for this product as it comes in around $100 less than its counterparts. However, the lower price also comes with several drawbacks as negative reviews consistently point out that the filter basket leaks, causing a need to wipe down the counters.
Reviews also point out that the OXO Brew coffee maker is hard to clean due to its small size, and the lifespan of the product only lasts 2-3 years.
- Space saver
- Even ground saturation
- SCA certified
- Leaking filter basket
- Hard to clean
If you’re looking for a short-term coffee maker for a small apartment kitchen or a dorm room, the OXO Brew stainless steel coffee maker is a good choice.
Beware of the difficulty of cleaning and the leaking filter basket as they may cause issues if attempting to use the coffee maker beyond its intended lifespan.
- One-touch brew operation with auto-off
- Carafe lid, filter basket, and showerhead are dishwasher safe
- Powerful and precise 1500-watt heater maintains optimal brewing temperature of 195°-205°f (91°-96°c)
- Optional pre-infusion mode wets freshly roasted ground Coffee to allow DEGASSING before brewing
- Flat-bottomed filter basket and larger showerhead allow for even better saturation and uniform extraction
- Durable Stainless Steel lined thermal carafe. Double walled Stainless Steel thermal carafe
- All plastic is BPA-free
- Length: 12. 40" Width: 6. 80" Height: 12. 20"
Bonavita One-Touch Coffee makers feature a hanging filter basket and thermal carafe. This particular coffee maker holds 8 cups and keeps a simplistic design that may not be an attractive feature for some coffee brewers.
A 1500-watt heater keeps brewing temperatures between 198 – 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal brewing.
The optional pre-infusion mode pauses the showerhead saturation of the beans to mimic a pour-over brew method allowing the coffee grounds bloom time to get the perfect extraction of flavor.
The stainless steel carafe comes with a lid giving users a spill-proof option. This is a noble choice for families where younger coffee drinkers may decide to pour themselves a beverage.
The filter system uses a flat filter over a cone-shaped basket giving a more prolonged drip to the carafe. The Bonavita One-Touch coffee maker does portray a more cumbersome design that creates an eye-sore in the kitchen for some users.
- Easy to clean
- Spill-proof carafe
- Convenient one-touch design
- Cumbersome design
Coffee enthusiasts searching for a coffee maker that promotes convenience and simplicity may find the Bonavita One-Touch coffee maker suitable.
Reviewers state the simplistic design does leak at times, and the cumbersome shape makes the product a stand-out feature, whether you intend it to or not.
- SCAA Certified - meets the Specialty Coffee Association of America's rigorous technical requirements for exemplary home brewers
- Flavor strength control - mild, medium, bold
- Temperature control - hot, extra hot
- 8 cup carafe – Glass (CPO-800), Thermal (CPO-850)
The Cuisinart Pure Precision coffee brewer is another excellent option if you are looking for the best automatic pour over coffee maker on a budget. This product weighs in at 9 pounds which is heavier than several of its competitors.
Capacity is 8 cups and comes complete with SCAA certification, giving you the peace of mind that this coffee maker will brew coffee how it is intended to brew. A flavor-strength control option allows for a brew with the exact flavor depth you desire.
Because of the cost-effectiveness of the Cuisinart PurePrecision coffee brewer, the material used throughout the product is plastic besides the exterior, carafe, and filter basket. Mixed reviews ensue because of this, but the plastic is designed to endure the heat of the water used to brew the coffee.
Several users point out that once you have taken the time to enjoy your first cup of coffee, the remainder of the brewed coffee does not remain hot. However, this is a common issue with coffee makers that use a glass carafe.
- SCAA certified
- Coffee flavor depth
- Plastic materials
- Heating element
This Cuisinart coffee brewer proves an admirable coffee maker choice for a cost-effective, SCAA certified automatic pour-over coffee maker. The settings allow you to brew various coffee flavor depths to fit your desired coffee strength and the glass carafe is esthetically pleasing.
- Flavor strength control - mild, medium, bold
- Temperature control - hot, extra hot
- Dimensions: 14.5x13.75x9.5 inch (WxHxD), Unit Weight: 10.2 pounds
- capacity: 64 oz, 8 cup carafe
Another Cuisinart coffee brewer on our list of best automatic pour over coffee makers is the CPO-850 Coffee Brewer.
The significant difference between the Cuisinart CPO-850 and the Cuisinart PurePrecision coffee brewer is the carafe.
The Cuisinart CPO-850 comes standard with a thermal carafe which increases the cost due to the technology and heating benefits the stainless steel carafe provides.
One unique feature not advertised in the PurePrecision model is program an automatic on-off feature and a self-clean option. Temperature controls range from hot to extra hot, and flavor strength is programmable to mild, medium, and bold.
Like the PurePrecision model, the CPO-850 is SCAA certified and comes with an 8-cup carafe. Negative reviews are consistent between both models as users state the water temperature does not meet standards.
- Self-clean option
- Flavor depth
- Heating element
The Cuisinart CPO-850 coffee brewer comes standard with the thermal carafe making it a more costly version of the PurePrecision model.
The programmable features make it convenient for coffee drinkers who like to try different bold flavors, and the self-clean option makes it a noble choice for those with little time or desire to clean their coffee maker.
- The Breville Grind Control creates third wave specialty coffee by capturing freshness and essential oils from beans by grinding before you brew with Steep and Release technology; Choose to brew directly into a carafe, tall cup or travel mug for on the go
- PROGRAMMABLE AUTO START: Set the time you'd like your coffee and the Grind Control will start the brewing process automatically; Delivers brew water at the right temperature from the start to the finish of the brewing process
- INTEGRATED AND ADJUSTABLE GRINDER: Adjust the grinder output to suit any bean from anywhere and customize the grind size to suit your taste
- STEEP AND RELEASE TECHNOLOGY: Brew your coffee directly into a large carafe, tall cup or travel mug with equal balance and flavor profile
- LCD DISPLAY: A clear and concise LCD screen shows grind setting, grind time and number of shots or cups you have selected
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: Gold Tone Filter, 12 Cup Dual Wall Stainless Steel Thermal Carafe and Cleaning Brush
- BEAN HOPPER CAPACITY: 1 by 2 lb; Water Tank Capacity: 60 oz-12 cup
- SETTINGS: 8 strength settings or choose pre-ground coffee option to brew coffee just the way you like it
- WARRANTY: 1 Year Limited Product Warranty; Power: 1100 Watts; Voltage: 110 to 120 Volts
Steep and release technology that comes standard with the Breville Grind Control coffee maker creates third-wave specialty coffee to please even the most intense coffee snobs.
The grinding process captures the oils from the beans making a fresh-tasting coffee that is sure to please your taste buds.
Convenience is this Breville coffee maker’s middle name. Technology provides a steep and release option to brew coffee from the 60oz water tank directly into the stainless steel carafe or directly into your coffee cup or to-go mug.
The LCD screen displays grind settings, grind time, and the selected number of shots or cups. Standard accessories are a gold-tone filter, a 12-cup dual-wall stainless steel thermal carafe, and a cleaning brush.
Because of the extensive features that this coffee maker possesses, the product’s weight comes in at a heavy 16 pounds. While remaining versatile, the weight does hinder the ease of relocating the machine.
- Fresh grind technology
- Carafe or cup brewing option
- Water reservoir size
The Breville BDC650BSS Grind Control coffee maker is the perfect choice for true coffee snobs. The price and weight are the only drawbacks to this machine, but we are convinced that the technology used to make this coffee maker outweighs those negative features.
What to Look For in Your Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker
Even the best automatic pour over coffee makers have drawbacks. It’s a matter of finding the coffee maker that best fits your personal needs. Do you prefer an automatic or manual poor? What about a cold brew over a hot brew? The possibilities are endless.
No matter what unique features you desire for your coffee pot, there are a few characteristics to look for before purchasing an automatic pour-over coffee maker.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How many cups of coffee do you drink in the morning?
- Are you the only one drinking the coffee?
- Do you need some leftovers for iced coffee in the afternoon?
All of these questions come down to the capacity of your coffee maker.
The capacity for automatic pour over coffee makers varies, meaning there is a perfect size available for however many cups of coffee you need.
The most common sizing for coffee makers is twelve cups. However, don’t let this measurement fool you. Cup measurements on a coffee pot are 5oz, while a cup of water measures 8oz.
An average twelve-cup coffee carafe only holds approximately seven 8oz cups, giving its grand capacity at 60oz.
Water Temperature Control
Believe it or not, the water temperature used to brew coffee can affect how the coffee tastes.
This fact is why having the ability to control the water temperature at which coffee brews is crucial. The hotter the water is, the faster the extraction rate which affects the end flavor of the cup of coffee.
If you prefer a specific taste of your coffee, temperature control is essential. The ideal brewing temperature is between 195 and 205 degrees Fahrenheit, just under the boiling temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
Effective water temperature control on an automatic pour-over coffee maker ranges from 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thermal or Glass Carafe
Both the thermal and glass carafe has unique benefits. A glass carafe is most common, and for a good reason.
Glass doesn’t hold onto tastes or scents like other materials, making it a desired choice for kitchenware. However, a glass carafe needs a hot plate to keep the coffee warm for an extended period. Glass is also easier to break than thermal.
On the other hand, a thermal carafe is shatter-resistant and doesn’t need a hot plate to retain heat. Most thermal carafes are made of stainless steel and come with a higher price tag.
A unique feature of the thermal carafe is the vacuum between the inside and outside layers. This vacuum traps heat from transferring to the outside of the container preventing a burn hazard.
Depending on your kitchen esthetic, necessary durability, and the length in which you need your coffee to stay warm are all factors to consider when deciding between a thermal or glass carafe.
Waking up in just enough time to get ready for work and head out the door is common for busy people. There is no time to make coffee before leaving the house in a rush. Luckily, coffee makers have programmable settings.
Programmable settings in automatic pour-over coffee makers let you automatically start the brewing process at a specific time. Therefore, if you wake up at 6 AM and have to leave the house at 6:15 AM, the coffee is already brewing for you – if you remember to set it the night before.
There is also an option on some coffee makers to program brewing time, brewing process, and brewing cycle, all with the touch of a button. Look for the programmable settings that will make your life easier.
Cleaning a coffee pot is often not at the forefront of a coffee maker’s mind. However, it is a vital part of increasing the lifespan of your coffee maker as hard water build-up and grime can prevent your coffee maker from working at its best.
Keeping a clean coffee maker also ensures no mold build-up that can cause allergic reactions or infections to make you sick. NSF International studied the dirtiest places in homes, and the coffee maker came in 5th place.
Luckily, coffee makers are designed for cleaning. The only drawback is that some are more difficult to clean than others, meaning it is vital to look for a coffee maker that fits your cleaning style.
Overall Design & Size
Deciding what coffee maker to purchase may come down to the design and size of the product.
Selecting a coffee maker that fits in with the rest of your kitchen décor and doesn’t prove an eye-sore is strategic. Coffee makers with glass carafes are typically found in more elegant settings, while thermal, stainless steel carafes are more sturdy and functional.
If you prefer your coffee is brewed in a specific way or with multiple options, the design of the coffee maker will vary from a product that only brews coffee one way. This difference changes the look of the product, which is a vital consideration to take.
The size of the coffee maker is also a key consideration. Whether your intent for the coffee maker is to provide a beverage to multiple individuals or just yourself, deciding on a size that will produce the right amount of coffee and fit in the space allotted to the product is something to consider.
With so many options available for coffee machines, the best automatic pour over coffee makers provide users with sufficient capacity, water temperature control, a high-quality carafe, programmable settings, ease of cleaning, and overall design.
The Technivorm Moccamaster comes with a 40oz water reservoir, adjustable temperature controls, and a glass carafe that sits on an independent heating element designed to keep your coffee warm to the last drop.
Programmable settings give Moccamaster users the ability to use the auto-off option and set water temperature.
Cleaning is a breeze with the Technivorm Moccamaster, and the design is esthetically pleasing for any space. These benefits and draws to this coffee maker make it our top pick for automatic pour over coffee makers in 2021.