Coffee lovers know there’s only a small window to enjoy freshly brewed coffee. It shouldn’t be too hot to scald your tongue neither should it be lukewarm to lose its flavor.
A coffee thermos is a necessary investment if you want to maintain the correct temperature, taste, and body of freshly-ground coffee. Here’s a list of the best coffee thermos to help you choose one for your needs.
Our Top Pick: Stanley Classic Vacuum Wide Mouth Bottle
- KEEP IT HOT OR COLD: Our Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle is made with superior insulation that keeps liquids (soup, coffee, tea) hot or cold drinks cool for up to 24 hours It’s also made with BPA-free materials, keeping its contents safe to consume
- TOUGH AND DURABLE: The rust-proof 18/8 stainless steel construction on this insulated thermos means it can work just as hard as you do without impacting its performance This is an ideal bottle to throw into your truck, work bag or travel with it
- MULTI-PURPOSE LID: The Stanley thermos is designed with a leak-resistant lid, so you can put it in your backpack without worrying about any spills The wide mouth of the thermos helps with easy pouring into the lid that doubles as an eight-ounce cup
- FILL IT FOR THE DAY: Our vacuum bottle comes in multiple sizes – 1 1qt, 1 5qt, and 2qt so you can fill it up with water once and be set for however long you need it The collapsible handle makes it easy to transport with you
This is our top pick and the best coffee thermos for those who love the outdoors. The vacuum insulation keeps your coffee hot or cold for up to 24 hours without changing its flavor, while the stainless-steel construction is sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of outdoor use.
The thermos is available in two sizes—1.1 QT and 2 QT. The 1.1. QT equals a liter or 32 ounces which means you can bring enough coffee to last an entire day. What’s more, you don’t have to worry about the contents spilling or soaking other items thanks to the dual-lid construction.
The flask has a stainless-steel lid that doubles up as a cup and an insulated stopper that seals your coffee or water shut. Although this lid’s construction means you can’t sip coffee or water while walking, you can take advantage of the pour-through spout to pour a cup on the go. The lid holds up to eight ounces of coffee.
- Keeps liquids hot for long
- Durable construction
- Collapsible handle for easy transportation
- Bulky construction
- Not easy to drink from on the go
Best Coffee Thermos: Other Top Picks
Here are some other options you can consider.
Contigo Autoseal Vacuum-insulated Travel Mug (Best Budget Option)
- Our lids are sealed: Autoseal technology is leak and spill proof (Yes there is a difference)
- For the long haul: Drinks stay hot up to 5 hours and cold up to 12 with thermalock Vacuum Insulation. BPA free
- Lend a hand: Easy one handed drinking from this travel coffee mug with the push of a button
Finding a thermos you can throw in your backpack or handbag without worrying about spillage on a budget is such a steal. This mug from Contigo is equipped with auto-seal technology that prevents coffee, tea, or other beverages from spilling on your laptop and other essentials.
The thermos also has a vacuum-insulating feature that ensures your coffee remains piping hot for up to seven hours or cold for 18 hours. As such, the coffee retains its flavor hours after brewing it. You can allow the coffee to cool down for a few minutes before attaching the lid to avoid scalding your tongue when drinking.
Drinking coffee from this mug is relatively easy. You can pour the beverage into a cup or take it directly from the mug by pressing and holding the button to sip. What’s more, with the button lock feature, you can avoid pressing the auto-seal button unintentionally when taking coffee from the mug.
The thermos can fit most car cup holders and is easy to clean. The body should be washed by hand to avoid damage, while the lid can be tossed in a dishwasher. Since the lid comes in one piece, you don’t have to worry about losing some parts.
If you’re on a budget, this is the best coffee thermos for you.
- The lid is dishwasher safe
- It fits most cup holders in cars
- Auto-seal technology to prevent spills
- The body is sensitive to scratches
- Challenging to get a perfect clean on the lid
Zojirushi Stainless Steel Insulated Mug (Best Compact)
- 16 oz. / 0.48 liter
- Heat retention: 189 Degree at 1 hr. / 160 Degree at 6 hrs
- Cold retention: 46 Degree at 6 hrs
- Safety lock to prevent the lid from opening accidentally
- Made of BPA-free plastic and stainless steel
- 5 year warranty on heat retention(189°F @ 1 hr. / 160°F @ 6 hrs.)
This mug is perfect if you are looking for a light, compact, and functional coffee thermos. The stainless-steel construction makes it light enough to stash in your backpack, handbag, or pocket. And with its insulated vacuum feature, you can take hot coffee all day. Once you pour freshly-pressed coffee into this little gem, it remains hot ten or more hours later.
Another feature that stands out about this mug is its design. The flip-open lid has a release and holds mechanism that allows the condensation to fall back into the thermos instead of splashing. The lid also clicks shut to prevent spillage and comes apart easily when cleaning.
Coffee lovers will also appreciate Zojirushi’s ability to design a mug that simulates a porcelain mug. The experience of taking coffee from a cup is entirely different from using a straw. A cup allows you to inhale the aroma of freshly-brewed coffee, not to mention the mouth feel of the coffee from a mug.
You enjoy all such pleasantries when using this mug. The aroma of the coffee hits your nose as you tilt it to take a sip, enhancing the rich notes of freshly-brewed coffee.
All in all: if you like a compact design , this is the best coffee thermos for you.
- Excellent heat retention
- Lid design makes it spill-proof
- The mouthpiece makes coffee to flow out smoothly
- Color peels away over time
- The narrow chamber makes cleaning challenging
THERMOS Stainless King Travel Mug (Best Commuter Coffee Thermos)
- STAYS HOT OR COLD: THERMOS vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention of hot or cold beverages. Keeps your morning coffee or tea hot for up to 7 hours and iced drinks cold for up to 18 hours
- EXTREMELY DURABLE: High quality 18/8 stainless steel construction is dependable any time of the year for long treks or road trips – to the wilderness or across town. Includes a sturdy handle
- SWEAT-PROOF: Exterior stays cools to the touch with hot beverages and sweat-proof with cold. THERMOS brand mugs are dishwasher safe, top rack recommended
- LEAK-PROOF LID: DRINKLOCK sealing lid is leak-proof when closed for peace of mind. Features a built-in tea hook that holds tea bags or most loose leaf infusers. Lid design is easy to disassemble and clean
- SINCE 1904: THERMOS brand products have been making everyday life better, every time. Hot stays hot. Cold stays cold. Food and drinks stay fresh. The little things go a long way, so do we
When looking for a coffee thermos to use on the go, you want one that’s lightweight, easy to open and close while walking, keeps coffee hot, and has a firm handle. This travel mug from THERMOS checks off all the boxes. It weighs a mere 0.3 pounds and has a capacity of 16 ounces, enough to carry your morning coffee.
The lid slides open easily whether you’re walking or driving, and you can buy the mug with or without the handle. It seals in the beverage preventing any spillage, and its design is easy to dismantle when cleaning. You may need to open the lid slightly before screwing it on to minimize resistance when tightening it and to ensure it lines up correctly with the drinking hole.
The handle is almost always necessary to give you a firm hold when walking. The beauty is that the handle is pretty sturdy and doesn’t come off quickly. The mug is also vacuum-insulated, keeping your coffee hot for seven hours or cold for 18 hours. Moreover, the exterior remains calm even when carrying piping hot coffee and it’s sweat-proof when it’s cold.
In short: if you’ll mainly use your thermos on your commute, this is the best coffee thermos for you.
- Great for everyday commute
- Comfortable to carry and hold
- It fits most car cupholders
- Dents easily
- The coating peels off after some time
Cresimo Thermal Coffee Carafe (Best Large Capacity Thermos)
- SIMPLE CLEANING COFFEE CARAFE » Our coffee pot with spigot and handle is designed with a large mouth opening to make filling and cleaning a breeze. Simply wipe the inside with a sponge. The easy-detachable lid is leak proof and always locks into place when closing your pitcher!
- HOT OR COLD TEA DISPENSER » Cresimo's lab- tested vacuum insulation technology locks in temperature for 12 hours hot or 24 hours cold. Guaranteed using our durable and rust-proof 18/8 stainless steel with dual lining. Your new hot coffee dispenser will stay hot!
- LARGE CAPACITY HOT BEVERAGE DISPENSER » Our insulated coffee carafe holds enough for 12 6oz. cups of coffee! This 2 Liter capacity makes the large thermos and air pots perfect for cafes, sports games, meetings, road trips, and everything in between!
- EASY TO USE COFFEE URN » With one-hand pouring capabilities, your hot drinks come out with ease whether it be hot tea, cold milk, juice or mulled wine. Our non-slip base keeps the insulated carafe and coffee airpot right where you left it!
- BONUS CARAFE CUSTOMER SERVICE » Not 100% satisfied with your hot drink dispenser? Contact us immediately! Our bonus thermos warranty has you covered. This warranty is exclusive to items purchased directly from Cresimo and purchases made from unauthorized resellers will not be covered by this same manufacturer's warranty.
Finding a coffee thermos that can hold lots of coffee and keep it hot is a bonus. This Thermal Coffee Carafe from Cresimo manages to do just that. With a capacity of 68 ounces, it holds enough coffee to serve up to 12 people (i.e., 12 6 oz cups). Its large capacity makes it perfect for carrying your favorite beverage during road trips, sports games, and meetings.
The thermos also features vacuum insulation technology that ensures your coffee or other beverage stays hot for 12 hours or cold for 25 hours. And with the large mouth opening, you can add ice cubes to keep your coffee cold. Filling the thermos with coffee and cleaning it is also effortless.
The lid locks into place quickly, keeping the thermos leak-proof. You may find pouring coffee into a cup slower than expected but worthwhile because you hardly create a mess when serving guests.
In short: if you drink a lot of coffee (or like to share your coffee), this is the best coffee thermos for you.
- Holds more cups
- Handy spout design
- Non-slip base to keep it in place
- The lid is difficult to clean
- Pours beverage slowly
Ember Control Travel Mug (Best Smart Coffee Thermos)
- LONGER LASTING BATTERY: Extended battery life on your temperature-control mug keeps your drink perfectly hot for 3 hours on a single charge – or all day on the included, redesigned charging coaster. Choose the exact temperature you prefer (between 120°F - 145°F).
- NEW TOUCH DISPLAY: Customize your heated mug by simply tapping on the + or - symbol to increase or decrease your preferred drinking temperature. Touch the Ember logo to reveal additional Ember Travel Mug 2 features such as battery life, temperature, and mug name.
- APP CONTROLLED: Smart mug allows you to control with your smartphone. Pair with the Ember App to set your temperature, customise presets, receive notifications and more.
- USE WITHOUT APP: Ember Travel Mug is functional without connection to the app and will remember last used temperature. Out of the box, the Ember Mug is set to 135°F.
- HAND WASH ONLY: An updated scratch-resistant ceramic coating is safe to hand wash. Ember Travel Mug 2 is IPX7 rated and fully submersible up to 1 meter deep.
- AUTO SLEEP: Ember heated mug intelligently senses when to turn on and off. The mug enters sleep mode when empty or after 2 hours of inactivity. Ember wakes up when it senses movement or liquid.
- EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Pour in hot liquid to extend and maximize battery life.
- PERFECT GIFT FOR ALL OCCASIONS: Birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Graduation, Thanksgiving and Christmas gifting
If you want to splurge a little more than you would to buy a coffee thermos, check out this smart travel mug from Ember. The mug is equipped with a smart heating element instead of the standard vacuum insulation technology to keep your coffee hot.
Moreover, you can choose the desired temperature, i.e., between 120-145 F, for up to three hours on a single charge. If you keep it plugged into the charging platform, you can keep your coffee hot for longer. You’ll love the digital display on the mug’s exterior, which allows you to adjust the temperature naturally.
You can also connect it to a mobile device via an app or Bluetooth to control the temperature from your phone. Most other features are similar to regular coffee flasks, including the push-to-open lid, which makes it easy to drink from the mug. It also fits most cars cupholders, but you may need to be extra cautious when bringing this mug to a car.
In short: if you love gadget and have a slightly bigger budget, this smart mug is is the best coffee thermos for you.
- Stylish look
- Too small
- Maintains a consistent temperature
- Short battery life
What to Look for When Buying a Coffee Thermos
You’re probably overwhelmed by the vast range of mugs available in the market hence the need to acquaint yourself with essential features to look for when buying the best coffee thermos for your needs.
Insulation determines how long your coffee retains heat. Vacuum-insulated flasks are the preferred type because they can keep coffee hot for nearly 12 hours. However, you must also look at the construction material because it influences the flask’s effectiveness.
A good rule of thumb is to look for double-walled thermoses made from stainless steel. The walls create a vacuum that seals in the heat and keeps the air out. Coffee thermoses made from glass are another excellent option because they also have a double-wall design.
However, they don’t create a vacuum like their counterpart, so your beverage will likely grow cold within a couple of hours.
Plastic flasks also make an excellent alternative for budget-friendly coffee thermos but don’t keep coffee hot for long. They are great at keeping iced coffee cold and are microwave-safe so you can always reheat your coffee.
The size of the flask depends on the amount of coffee you brew and consume. Are you planning to carry a cup or two for a day’s use or share it with colleagues, partners, or campers? Larger flasks are more convenient but they are bulkier and not ideal for the everyday commute. They might also not fit in the car’s cupholder. Factor in all such aspects when buying the best coffee thermos for your needs.
Ease of Use
Check the opening and closing mechanisms. If you’re planning to carry the thermos to work, you want one with a removable lid that screws on to prevent spillage. It makes it easy to stash it in a backpack without spilling coffee. However, if you find its opening and closing mechanism tasking, look for one with a button release or flip lid. It should be firm and durable, and easy to clean.
Ease of Cleaning
If convenience and eco-friendliness are a priority, look for dishwasher-safe coffee thermoses. However, this cleaning method can compromise the flask’s insulation feature, leaving it unable to keep your coffee hot. You might want to look for coffee flasks labeled hand-wash only because it minimizes damage and maintains the integrity of the flask longer.
The lid should be secure enough to keep the coffee hot and prevent spillage. It should also tighten and loosen easily and fit the flask without difficulty. Typically, there are two lid styles—flip-up and screw-on lids. Both are effective at keeping the coffee sealed shut, but the latter proves more secure than flip-up lids.
You also need to check if the lids have small spouts for inserting straws. Some people have incredibly sensitive teeth; hence buying a lid with a straw is necessary. Other lid styles double as cups, which is quite handy if you’re an outdoors person.
Ensure the thermal cup has the same material as the flask to retain heat, so you enjoy the coffee at your preferred temperature without cooling down quickly.
Look for other features like a carrying handle, making it easy to hold and carry the thermos. A carrying bag also comes in handy as it protects the other items in your bag in case the coffee spills.
If buying the coffee thermos online, check if it comes with a warranty or a money-back guarantee. A warranty allows you to request a refund and send the flask back to the seller in case it’s faulty.
With this guide, you can easily pick the best coffee thermos. Whether you want one that carries a liter of coffee and keeps it hot for 24 hours, like the Stanley Classic Vacuum Wide Mouth Bottle, a smart coffee thermos like Ember Control Travel Mug, or a simple commute mug like the THERMOS Stainless King Travel Mug we’ve got you.
Be sure to factor in essential features like size, ease of cleaning, and ease of use, as they all contribute to the overall experience of using a coffee thermos.
Here are some questions customers ask about carrying coffee in a flask.
How long does coffee remain fresh after brewing?
Freshly brewed coffee remains fresh for the first 30 minutes, but if poured into a coffee thermos, it retains freshness longer, usually up to 24 hours.
What is the best temperature to serve coffee?
The best temperature to serve and take coffee is 180-185 F, but if you want to enjoy the sweetness and other qualities of the beverage, it’s best to take it at a lower temperature, usually 120-140 F.
What’s the best way to remove the coffee smell from a thermos?
Cleaning the thermos with warm soapy water after use keeps the odor away. If the smell persists, soak the interior with warm water, a tablespoon of baking soda, and half a cup of white vinegar for 10 minutes and rinse.
Can I use bleach to clean the thermos?
Bleach can strip the stainless-steel interior of its coating, leaving your beverage exposed to chippings. It’s best to check and follow the cleaning instructions to avoid damaging it.
Can I store a coffee thermos in a refrigerator?
It’s not advisable to place a thermos in a refrigerator. The freezing temperature causes the liquid to freeze and expand, damaging the thermos. If you want ice-cold coffee, adding ice cubes to the flask when pouring in your coffee is best.