Getting rid of your old pour-over coffee maker in favor of a Chemex is a good decision, but buying a new coffeemaker is not everything there is to making great coffee.
If you’ve used pour-over coffee makers for a while, you know the filter you choose to use has a marked effect on the taste of your coffee.
So, if you’re looking to become a skilled home barista with your Chemex, this is the of best Chemex coffee filters for you.
What Kind of Filter Does a Chemex Need?
So, if you’ve bought a Chemex (good choice by the way, it’s one of our favorite coffee makers and brews a special cup) you naturally see that its shape requires a cone-shaped filter. While you can try to use filters like the Mellita paper filters for elite pour-over coffee makers, our guide shows you these filters will not produce the highest quality or best-tasting coffee because they do not work with the Chemex or its shape. Instead, use these dedicated selection of the best chemex coffee filters to brew proper Chemex coffe.
Some filters keep out coffee oils, others do not, but all keep the grounds out and make sure the flavors can travel with the hot water through the filter.
Top Pick for Best Chemex Coffee Filters: Bolio Organic Hemp Coffee Filter
- ECO-FRIENDLY COFFEE FILTERS: The Bolio 100% organic hemp coffee cone filters are designed for durability and can be used hundreds of times. Hemp is quickly becoming recognized as the most ideal eco-friendly coffee filter material. requires half the water to grow and is twice as strong as cotton.
- REUSABLE COFFEE FILTER: Hemp is the ideal choice as a reusable coffee filter. It is also very easy to clean and reuse. After each use, simply rinse it with hot water and hang it to be dried.
- HEMP COFFEE FILTER SIZING: We offer several different sizes and can fit almost every pour over setup. If you could use a little extra help trying to find the most suitable size, check out the description below where we address some of the more popular carafes and drippers.
- IMPROVED COFFEE FLAVOR: Hemp filters offer a unique blend of sediment filtration while also allowing for many of the essential coffee oils to be retained, offering you the most satisfying cup of coffee without the sediment.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We have worked hard to produce the highest quality Hemp filters available. We stand behind our products and offer a risk-free guarantee that you’ll love and will be fully satisfied with your purchase.
First on the list is this the best Chemex coffee filter that appeals to the environmentally conscious. While Chemex’s paper coffee filters work very well, they can also be wasteful. So, if you want filters that use the natural qualities of hemp – such as its strength – to keep an acidic flavor out of your coffee and give it a light body, these filters will serve you well.
Additionally, these Organic Hemp filters are entirely reusable and last longer than other reusable fabric filters like cotton. So, you will be helping the environment and your coffee by using these filters.
Other Top Picks for Best Chemex Coffee Filters
Kone Reusable Able Filter
- A PERFECT FIT YOUR CHEMEX - Brew cafe quality coffee without the fuss or waste of traditional paper filters. The Kone has been carefully engineered to make brewing delicious coffee at home a breeze, while living up to the rigorous standards of the best cafes.
- NO PAPER FILTER FUSS - The Kone brews a full-bodied cup of coffee, rich with oils and flavors normally trapped by paper filtration, and doesn’t impart unwanted flavors. And unlike paper filters, the Kone produces no paper waste. Simply rinse and repeat.
- METICULOUSLY ENGINEERED - Every last detail of the Kone has been painstakingly engineered to help you brew a delicious cup of coffee. Its singular design and unique features facilitate an even, controlled flow of water through the coffee grounds for better extraction and consistent flavor.
- BUILT TO LAST - Constructed from a single piece of precision welded, photo-chemically etched stainless steel and an injection-molded, food-safe polymer support ring, the Kone is built to stand up to the daily demands of the cafe.
- EASY TO CLEAN - A quick rinse and occasional scrub keeps the Kone in tip-top shape. Unlike other reusable filters made with cloth, mesh, and gimmicky construction, the Kone’s elegant, single-layer design prevents build up of oils and sediment.
This reusable metal filter is the best metal filter you will find for your Chemex. Beyond its filtering abilities and perfect fit for the coffee maker, it also helps the environment by offering customers a durable product that will work for years.
Just be aware that the Able Kone filters coffee differently than the finer fabric or paper filters.
Though it filters out coffee grounds, Able Kone’s perforations do not block out coffee oils. Therefore it creates a richer cup of coffee with a balanced sweet and bitter flavor.
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST COFFEE MAKERS - Our pour over coffee filter is designed to fit Chemex coffee makers (6, 8, 10 cup) and Hario V60 02 and 03 drippers, as well as most standard coffee drippers.
- REUSABLE COFFEE FILTER | SAVES MONEY - Each purchase saves 25,000 paper filters from heading to the landfill. By making the earth-friendly decision to switch to a metal cone coffee filter today you’re helping save our planet tomorrow. Save hundreds of dollars by switching to our metal filter, no more wasting money each month on paper filters.
- BETTER TASTING COFFEE - Our metal cone coffee filter allows the natural coffee bean oils and nutrients to filter through to your cup while eliminating the paper taste from traditional filters. The result is a bolder and more flavorful cup of coffee. The dual filtration, with high quality stainless steel mesh on the inside and a laser-cut layer on the outside, keeps coffee grounds and grit in the filter and not in your cup.
- EASY CLEANING - After use, simply empty your coffee grounds and rinse your gold coffee filter under warm running water. We also recommend descaling your pour over filter every 2-3 weeks by soaking it in a solution of distilled vinegar and warm water. Made from high quality stainless steel and titanium coated, this gold pour over filter will last a lifetime.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We take pride in the quality of our products and the service we provide to our fellow home-baristas, that’s why we back up all our products with our 100% satisfaction guarantee. We believe happy barista’s make better coffee!
If many of your kitchen items are copper-coated, you can add to your collection with the Barista Warrior metal filter, one of the best Chemex coffee filters on the market.
The Barista Warrior is one of the best filters for your Chemex for reasons far beyond its aesthetic beauty. This sustainable, quality filter has two layers that create a flavor leaning toward lighter and sweeter but balanced by a slight undertone of bitterness.
Along with its aesthetic appeal, this feature makes it potentially the best metal filter on the market for your Chemex.
Apace Living Pour Over Coffee Filter
- ☕USE YOUR FAVORITE POUR OVER COFFEE MAKER: Engineered with an extra-wide top base, this is arguably the best filter for Chemex (6, 8, 10 Cup), Hario V60 (2.0, 3.0) and other branded coffee makers.
- ☕BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED POUR OVER COFFEE FILTER: The mesh of our filters have unique designs to complement your coffee maker. Stored together, the two become a statement piece for your kitchen.
- ☕SIZED FOR OPTIMUM COFFEE DRIP FILTRATION: These filters have double-layer mesh with holes sized for perfect filtration. These perforations provide ideal extraction of the coffee without clogging.
- ☕SEALED TIP FOR IDEAL EXTRACTION: Flavor extraction is crucial to brewing the perfect cup of drip coffee. Our sealed-tip filters ensure complete coverage of the coffee grounds for full extraction.
- ☕FITS OVER THE RIM OF YOUR COFFEE FILTER HOLDER: The wide tops of our filters fit over the rim of popular pour over coffee makers. This means the cone filter is easy to remove for cleaning.
The Apace filter is another metal filter. Though it is perhaps not a sophisticated metal filter like the Barista Warrior and Able Kone filters, it is still one of the best filters for your Chemex. For half the price of the other metal filters, the Apace will make you a strong cup of coffee with your Chemex and outlast paper filters by years.
Additionally, this coffee filter can fit in several pour-over coffee makers – such as the Hario pour-over makers. So, if something happens to your Chemex and you want to try another coffee maker, this durable filter will still work and make you great coffee.
Be aware, however, that the bottom of your cup of coffee can get sludgy toward the end of this filter’s lifespan, as happens with any metal filter, though it will still keep the grounds out.
CoffeeSock Reusable Cotton Coffee Filter
- THE BEST FOR YOUR COFFEE: Start using natural, organic, sustainable filters for your coffee and taste the difference it can make every day. Our fabric is made to preserve the natural subtle flavors of even the highest grades of coffee.
- REUSABLE AND RELIABLE: These 2 organic cotton filters should last about an entire year! Our cotton cloth filters are carefully graded to give you the perfect extraction from your beans every time. It's the easier, tastier, zero-waste way to make coffee!
- ECO-FRIENDLY BASKET FILTERS: This pack includes 2 reusable Chemex X6 Carafe 6-13 cup filters. Our fabric is sustainably sourced and American-made to last longer and perform better. These are zero-waste filters that are compostable once you're done with them. Find the exact filter you need at our Amazon store!
- BETTER BREWING: Reusable cotton coffee filters give you a better more consistent brew. When you start brewing much of the flavor is held back, but by the end when the single-use paper starts to break down, it contaminates your coffee and allows grounds to enter the brew.
- COFFEESOCK: CoffeeSock started over 10 years ago to create all-natural, organic, sustainable filters for your coffee. Over the years we have tweaked our socks to absolute brewing perfection. All of our products are American made and we're proud to serve customers across the USA!
Hemp and metal are not the only materials used for reusable filters. In Europe, cloth coffee filters are particularly well-liked for making coffee, and the trend is now beginning to catch on in the United States and other countries. Products like the CoffeeSock are responsible for this sudden surge in popularity.
The CoffeeSock, a cotton filter, offers an excellent balance between the advantages of metal filters and the advantage of paper filters.
With the CoffeeSock, water can carry bold flavors through the cotton but the coffee oils, acid, and finer grounds that result in sludge at the bottom of the cup are left behind. Instead, you get a well-balanced cup of coffee with a smoother texture, free of any sludge at the bottom of the cup.
And while you will eventually have to throw your cotton filters away, they are still more reliable and reusable than paper filters.
Ovalware Coffee Filter
- ➤ DESIGNED TO FIT AND EXCEL – Our stainless steel dripper is carefully engineered to fit most branded coffee carafes including the 6, 8 and 10 cup Chemex Coffee Makers and Hario V60 02 and 03 drippers. Our removable BPA-FREE silicone grip complements your wooden or glass Chemex and grips the glass rim securely.
- ➤ UNLOCK NEW FLAVORS WITH DUAL FILTER CONSTRUCTION –Superior quality 18/8 304 Stainless Steel with DUAL FILTER technology: a superfine high-quality mesh on the inside and a laser-cut filter on the outside. This design prevents coffee grounds from getting through and does NOT absorb coffee’s essential oils and nutrients like paper filters do, allowing you to revel in a rich, organic brew every time!
- ➤ CLEAN UP HAS NEVER BEEN THIS EASY – Simply dump your coffee grounds out after each use, and rinse your filter under warm running water. Every 2 weeks or so, descale the filter by soaking it with white distilled vinegar and warm water.
- ➤ ECO-FRIENDLY & SAVE YOU MONEY – You’ll no longer need to spend money on disposable coffee filters or pods, which not only put a dent in your pocket, but also fill the earth’s landfills! Many drippers here on Amazon are made with poor construction that leads to messy clean up. Trust us, make the wise long-term investment on Ovalware Dripper and start crafting your very own, barista-level brews.
- ➤ WE WANT YOU! TO BE HAPPY – Choose OVALWARE if you care about quality and customer service. We have great confidence in the quality of our products, and we have the best customer service here on Amazon - which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our product fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you may return our product within 30 DAYS post-purchase to receive a FULL refund.
It is only fitting to discuss this last metal filter on the list after the cloth filter. The Ovalware Coffee Filter’s dual-layer filter is often renowned for its ability to filter coffee like a cloth filter.
The two layers hold back the oils and finer grounds, creating a lighter coffee with a refreshing flavor and no worry of hitting sludge on the last sip.
And wonderfully for Chemex users – it can fit all models of Chemex. Just remove or put on its silicone ring depending on the size so it can sit comfortably in your Chemex and so you can be on your way to a great cup of coffee.
Chemex Classic Coffee Filter
- Step 1: Place the funnel in the top portion of the CHEMEX coffeemaker, with 3 layers on the groove side. The groove is an air vent (and also the pouring spout) and allows air to escape from the lower portion of the coffeemaker, letting the coffee filter
- Step 2: Put coffee in the filter paper cone. Use one heaping tablespoon per cup of coffee (adjust to personal taste if needed after first brew). Refer to brewing instructions for remaining steps.
- THICKER: 20-30% thicker than the competition, specialty fiber filter design keep bitter elements, oils, and grounds in their place (and out of your cup)
- Fits all CHEMEX Coffeemakers except CM-1, CM-1C, CM-1GH
- Fits all CHEMEX Coffeemakers except CM-1, CM-1C, CM-1GH
While these other filters have advantages, sometimes nothing beats the original. In the case of Chemex, this is certainly the truth. Chemex designs these paper filters specifically for their pour-over coffee maker, and they are the most compatible filter for this coffee maker.
The paper for these filters is far thicker than standard paper coffee filters, and that thickness keeps out oils that can make pour-over coffee bitter or acidic.
Best Chemex Coffee Filters Concluded
There are many options for filters you can use for your Chemex. If you choose one from this list, you know you’re getting some of the best Chemex coffee filters on the market. For even better coffee, make sure to read this ultimate guide to brewing pour-over coffee.
So, feel free to use this list to help you find the filter you need to start using your Chemex as it was meant to be used: for your enjoyment.